Some Significant Dates in the History of All Saints
(This page was initiated as part of the PMC journey of All Saints - Please see here for more information about PMC)
23/10/1855 - Foundation stone laid by The Bishop of Oxford Samuel Wilberforce. The land was purchased by the Hulme sisters, Emily and Maria.
The Revd William Gresley was the first incumbent. George Street designed the complex of buildings born out of the Tractarian Movement. He designed a building that had beautiful surroundings for the celebration of the Eucharist and to enable worship for all people to the glory of God. Following the mission of the tractarians a vicarage and school were built, the latter offering education for the young. Later the Almshouses were built for the need of single women.
6/4/1858 - Her Majesty approved the assignment of "The District Chapelry of Boyne-hill" to the consecrated Church of All Saints, situate at Boyne-hill, in the parish of Bray........
This was published in the April 10th 1858 SUPPLEMENT to the LONDON GAZETTE - a pdf copy of which can be seen, and downloaded, here.
1859 - The Clergy house completed for curates to offer pastoral care in the parish
1862 - The Almshouses built with money from Miss Frances Mary Lamotte. Rules and regulations for the residents drawn up on All Saints day 1862
1865 - Tower and Spire added with the benefactors being Emma and Frances Mary Lamotte
1876 - 1917 - Arthur Hislop Drummond - Vicar
1881 - 18th December - G E Street passed away
1889 - 4th November - Consecration of St. Paul's Church, North Town Road (now demolished) - daughter church of All Saints.
1904 - Oct - Replacement of All Saints Gas Lighting (Three Gas Lamps in each of the North and South aisles and Two at the High Altar) by Electric Lighting - the installation of which was paid for by an anonymous donor.
1/11/1907 All Saints Day - Jubilee of the church celebrated in the presence of Dr Paget, the then Bishop of Oxford. idea that the Jubilee Memorial should be marked by an extension to the church. Canon Arthur Drummond was the incumbent at that time.
11/7/1910 - Foundation stone for the extension laid by Lady Desborough
9/2/1911 - Dedication service for the extension (addition of the West End and Vestry with extension of the chancel and choir stalls) by the Bishop of Oxford.
1916 - July - Spire, church and vicarage all hit by lightning. Damage costs met by the Ecclesiastical Building office.
1917 - 1919 - Walter Alexander Thackeray - Vicar
1919 - 1944 - William Stow Mahony - Vicar
1921 - February - Dedication of the War Memorial and Calvary garden.
1922 - July - All Saints' bells re-hung in a steel frame.
1927 - October - Introduction of Central Heating.
1931 - June - Dedication of reconstructed and enlarged organ at All Saints'.
1937 - July - Extra higher level shelf fitted to men's desks in the Choir - the men of the Choir being responsible for the cost with one member doing the work without any charge.
1944 - 1956 - Eric William Perkins - Vicar
1947 - John Betjeman the poet and high Anglican spoke from All Saints pulpit.
1956 - 1982 - Alfred Henry Michael Ware - Vicar
1965 - Creation of the wooden altar canopy
1982 - 2004 - Norman John Brown - Vicar
2005 - - Jeremy Michael Harris - Current Vicar of All Saints
2007 - 150th anniversary of the church marked by a year of mission activities and guest speakers and partnership with the Church Schools.
A full review of the celebrations can be found in the Annual Report 2007 (Also please Click here to view the excellent images of the Earth Balloon and other images and events of the celebrations on Flickr, courtesy of Rachel Andrew and Drew McLellan)
2015 - Mark's the 125th anniversary of Boyn Hill Cricket Club. Canon Drummond was a member of the original committee that set the club up and was also the Cricket Club's first President.
Another important feature of the history is that Gresley had a great interest in the education of the young and this was reflected in the early success of the church schools in the area